Mary has over 20 years experience as the editor of our Malaysian sister magazine, The Tyreman. Based in Kuala Lumpur, she writes articles for us on the Malaysian and other South East Asian markets.
Phone: (60) 3 7781 1323
The Michelin new-generation recycling plant in Chile, will be able to recycle 30,000 tons of earthmover tyres a year.
Michelin is launching construction on its first tyre recycling plant in collaboration with Enviro, a Swedish company that has developed a patented technology to recover carbon black, oil, steel and gas from end-of-life tyres.
Based in Chile’s Antofagasta region, the plant will be able to recycle 30,000 tons of earthmover tyres a year, or nearly 60 per cent of such tyres scrapped every year nationwide. Work will begin in 2021, with production scheduled to get underway in 2023. More than $30 million will be invested in building Michelin’s first new-generation end-of-life tyre processing plant.
The new-generation recycling plant will support the circular economy with innovative recycling processes. Scrap tyres will be collected directly from customer premises, then transported to the plant to be cut up and recycled. Enviro’s technology, which produces new, high-quality reusable materials like carbon black, pyrolysis oil, gas and steel, will enable everything in an end-of-life tyre to be recovered for reuse.
Current plans call for 90 per cent of the recovered materials to be reused in a variety of rubber-based products, such as tyres, conveyor belts and anti-vibration products. The remaining 10 per cent will be reused directly by the plant to generate its own-use heat and power. This initial recycling plant will enable Michelin to offer a comprehensive recycling solution, from collecting end-of-life tyres to reusing the recovered raw materials in the manufacture of new products.
“Thanks to this joint venture with Enviro, we are very proud to announce the construction of the Michelin Group's first recycling plant. This is a major milestone that will enable us to offer customers a new-generation recycling solution, while developing new business for the Group. We are currently in talks with several Chilean mining customers to sign long-term contracts. By scaling up Enviro’s technology, we are offering them a solution that will support their environmental objectives and enables the development of a circular economy,” said Sander Vermeulen, Vice President, Marketing & Business Development, Strategy and New Business for the High-Tech Materials business line.
The future tyre recycling plant is fully aligned with the Group's commitment to incorporating an increasing amount of sustainable materials in its tires, as illustrated by the VISION Concept.
Make sure you don't miss a single issue
Click here to subscribe and we'll make sure of it.